If you follow sports and pop culture in Canada, then you’re definitely familiar with the name Cabbie. We caught up with one of the country’s most colourful commentators and hosts to find out what inspires his work and what advice he would share with other young professionals…
1. Describe what you do in less than 140 characters. Go.
Putting the fun back into sports with quirky interviews with athletes and entertainers, blurring the line between sports and pop culture.
*probably more than 140 characters.
2. What was the inspiration for your career route?
Inspiration came from ripping off Will Smith, Martin Lawrence and Jim Carrey in high school; they had a profound effect on me as entertainers.
3. What is the most memorable milestone in your career so far?
Mike Tyson rubbed vaseline on my face.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?
Continuing to work towards greatness. I have no intention on retiring… ever.
5. Do you have any advice for other young professionals?
Keep writing and be clever.
6. Do you support any charities? If so, which one(s) and why is it (or they) important to you?
I’ve been supporting the motionball charity since 2007, hosting events, appearing in videos, and helping in some capacity with awareness.
7. What is one major challenge that you’ve had to overcome in your career? How did you overcome it?
A major challenge is getting an athlete’s trust and crossing the line from the reporter-athlete relationship to something else with a more substantial relationship. Over time and experiences, a trust is built. It’s rare that it happens right away.
8. What does the word notable mean to you?
Something or someone worth your time.
1. Where is your favourite place to wine/ dine in your city and why?
Speakeasy 21 for an adult beverage. R&D or Little Sister for the incredible food and vibe.
2. What’s the most visited website on your Internet browser? The most played song on your phone?
No music on my phone. Not enough space. Yahoo Sports gets my daily clicks.
3. Who’s one person you think everyone should be following on social media?
Dave Zirin. Great social commentary and perspective through the lens of sports. For fun, the Stats Canada parody account. So, so funny.
4. What’s your favourite country to visit and why? And what’s the next one you plan on travelling to?
Spain is very very cool. Barcelona is my favourite international city. Great architecture and nightlife. Next country on the list is Peru.
5. What gives you the greatest FOMO?
Nothing. There will always be more parties.
6. What’s your guiltiest pleasure?
All Dressed Ruffles. Heavenly. They’ve given me a healthy muffin top, so I thank them for that.
7. What’s something you wish you didn’t spend so much money on? What’s something you wish you spent more on?
Wish I spent more money on my health: eating better, eating cleaner, workouts, etc. Wish I spent less money on paying the tabs. Inner monologue type that one.
8. And finally, what does success look like to you? Work, play, or otherwise…
Success looks like the horizon. It’s pretty and pretty far away.