Hannah Yakobi is an award-winning journalist and communications specialist. Throughout her career, she has written for the National Post, OK! Magazine, the Ottawa Citizen, Canwest newspaper network and dozens of publications around the world. Currently, she is the Editor-in-Chief of FAJO Magazine, a Canadian publication with staff in Canada, U.S. and U.K.
The fashion week season is slowly wrapping up and fashionistas across the world are widely discussing what this fall will bring. With six fashion weeks behind myself and my FAJO team, here is a mega report on the trends you should be watching out for in September:
1. Silks and organzas for the ladies: this fall sees a resurrection of softer fabrics and delicate looks that are highly feminine.
2. Fur trimmings for both sexes: fur is a big trend and can be seen on many types of clothing; it even works well as trimming on blouses and shirts.
3. Peplum-style dresses and blouses.
4. Skinny belts for the ladies: this trend is particularly popular with pencil-style high-waisted skirts and body-hugging dresses.
5. Leather: works well for jackets, coats, dresses, pants and even suits.
6. High slits and plenty of cuts for the ladies: some of the clothing gets very seductive this season, so don’t be afraid to experiment.
7. Embroidery: fringes, in particular, take centre stage.
8. Jumpsuits: for those of you brave enough to wear them!
9. Multi-patchwork on the jackets and shirts for the gents: this is a huge trend and obviously takes a lot of guts to wear, considering how bright the colours are getting.
10. Knee-high boots for the ladies: particularly the boots that have laces.
11. Peep-toe boots for the ladies: often paired with socks. This look is not for everyone, but some people may like it.
12. Feather decorations: this works particularly well for evening wear.
13. Prints: go crazy this fall, because everyone else will, too!
14. Deep V-necks for the ladies: another great element that adds a seduction touch.
15. Flowing fabrics: works very well for evening wear, too.
16. Lots of multi-colour combinations: fashionistas will be wearing at least three coulours per outfit this fall.
17. Ethnic influences: very cool and very exotic, it doesn’t happen every season but it will be a key trend in September.
18. Multi-layering: will keep you warm and trendy.
19. Skinny pants for both sexes: great for recycling your clothes from past seasons.
20. Wrap dresses for the ladies: because soft fabrics make a strong return, this will allow you to slowly transition some of your summer numbers into fall.
Photos courtesy of FAJO Magazine