Many Canadian young professionals have returned home to from the Calgary Stampede with vibrant stories and accompanying pictures, inspiring envy and curiosity among peers who exclaim that they too must experience Calgary’s signature celebration at some point in their lives. Well, if luck is on your side, now you have the chance. As Calgary enjoys its title as Canada’s Cultural Capital in 2012 and the Calgary Stampede celebrates a banner year – its Centennial anniversary – the Calgary Stampede, Tourism Calgary and Travel Alberta invite Canadians to help welcome the world to Calgary in 2012 with hundreds of White Hats and a once-in-a-century opportunity to experience the stampede (and the city) first-hand.
On May 9 at 11:30am, 200 wristbands will be distributed to the public in high traffic areas in Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary, allowing participants into a special area loaded with hundreds of white cowboy hats. One lucky hat will have a red envelope containing an extraordinary opportunity to experience the Calgary Stampede Centennial in true YP style, complete with the best of music, food, drinks and culture that the city has to offer.
“We’re greatest together,” says Deanne Carson, vice-president of Marketing and External Relations for the Calgary Stampede. “That’s the message behind the special Calgary Stampede celebrations this year. In 2012 the Calgary Stampede is turning 100 years old and together with Travel Alberta and Tourism Calgary, we’re inviting Canadians to join in the celebrations.”
So, why the White Hat? The Calgary White Hat banner recognizes great ambassadors of hospitality and is the symbol that showcases the four key values of hospitality: integrity, western hospitality, pride of place, and commitment to the community. Contest winners or not, the country is encouraged to bring a White Hat to Calgary this year as a symbol of recognition, so don’t forget yours!
The red envelope will contain a VIP prize package for two that includes:
- Round-trip airfare to Calgary (if applicable) and two nights accommodation at Hotel Art.
- Two tickets to the sold-out Garth Brooks concert at the Saddledome on Saturday, July 14.
- A private Stampede dining experience featuring chef Paul Rogalski at Rouge Restaurant.
- Cocktails and tapas at Calgary’s only authentic Spanish restaurant, Ox and Angela.
- Two-day Thrill package for the Calgary Stampede; includes Rodeo tickets, a VIP behind-the-scenes chuckwagon experience, evening show and more.
- A $250 gift card to get officially outfitted at Lammle’s Western Wear & Tack.
- A look into Calgary’s vast attractions with passes to Glenbow Museum, Calgary Tower, and the Calgary Zoo.
The official White Hat drop will take place in the following cities on May 9 at 11:30am local time:
Vancouver, BC: Vancouver Art Gallery Public Square
Calgary, AB: Stephen Avenue (between 1 street SW and 2 street SW)
Toronto, ON: Yonge & Dundas Square
Photo courtesy Visit Calgary, Glenbow Archives